Wednesday 12 April 2017

PD Contract Appointment Cancelled Today!

There's no more looking back once our contract was signed and keeping this in mind, we have been reviewing our selections and our budget. We also want to pay 20% deposit of the total house and land value plus whatever will be undervalued by the bank to avoid paying any Loan Mortgage Insurance (LMI).

As a standard practice, changes are no longer allowed after the Tender document has been signed. Our building coordinator sent me an email after our tender appointment that she will still let us make changes. This could be because she knew and understand that we were caught off guard during our tender appointment after they added around $15K cost (additional $9K for site cost, added $2.4K for goverment requirements and added $2.5K for more bracing due to high wind zone area). We came in prepared with want we want and what we can cut-down. We were also expecting some more cost but not that much.

So, the day before our contract appointment, I thought of just leaving the flooring package that we chose and just do it after hand-over. I've read in other blogs that this can be done and there could be a few work involved but it can be done. This will cut our cost by arounf $16K. (Flooring Promotion $9999, Carpet Underlay $1211, Upgrade Flooring to Laminate Provincial Van Gogh $8116) Less: Credit of $3300. After checking the cost with some suppliers, I found out that cost can be cheaper and quality even better. I told my BC that we will do this.

She also told me that our 6 star energy rating cost is $3.5K and our main entry door was $4K.

After talking to her, the thought that we will not have the timber laminate flooring that we really love was breaking my heart. I don't really mind the crappy carpet that goes with the package. With this in mind, I thought why don't we remove the flooring package ($9999) and the carpet underlay ($1211) and just keep the Provincial Laminate Van Gogh and this will only cost us $8116. We can have a better carpet installed later. I talked to my BC again and she said this is OK She will need to know the specifications of the carpet for another 6 star energy assessment.

She said that we can't have our contract appointment without the 6 star cost. She's not seeing any changes with the cost as it will still be carpet, but they just need to have it reviewed again. We agreed to cancel our contract appointment today!

I sent her a carpet specifications that I saw on the internet for 6 star assessment last night and we spent today visiting National Tiles (for our external tiles), Western Distributors (for carpet and laminate flooring) and Sneddon's (to get our fireplace dimensions).

No comments:

Post a Comment